Thursday, July 16, 2015

Return of the Clutter-Buster

There was a brief flurry of activity here a couple of weeks ago, then nothing. No, I didn't get crushed by the mountain of clutter. Hubby and I travelled to Ontario to visit family. While there we attended my niece's high-school graduation. An entrance scholarship was earned. A bursary was awarded. We are very proud. 

Now we're back, and the de-cluttering has started again. But why the sudden interest in order and organization?

Actually, the interest has always been there, but I struggle with motivation. I get so overwhelmed by the perceived amount of work that I have trouble getting started. 

Just before we left for Ontario, I decided to hire someone to clean our house while we were away. That got me motivated! If I expected her to dust my desk, I needed to make it possible for her to find my desk. 

I was so grateful to come home to a clean house. There were clean towels in the bathroom and clean sheets on the bed. Our flight was sooooo early that there was no chance to take care of those things before we left. The house didn't have that musty, closed-up-for-weeks smell that often greets us after time away. Luxury.

I was even more grateful that I didn't have to do it myself. I usually clean before we go away, but I knew I'd be pressed for time before this trip. Hiring someone else to clean took a lot of pressure off, and I was much more relaxed about getting ready to go. Not necessarily relaxed. Just more relaxed than normal. 

The experience was so positive that I decided to hire the same person to clean on a regular basis. There is a catch though. While she cleans I have to take care of some of the other tasks that have been neglected. Like clearing the clutter from my desk. Or my file cabinet. Or my closet...

As you can see there's a lot to do. It's hard to decide where to start, but instead of feeling overwhelmed I'm feeling rather excited about the challenge. 

Expect more posts about the strange things I find while de-cluttering. It keeps me amused while I work, and it makes letting go of some of these items easier if know I can come back here to visit them from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen